Design Guidelines are intended to identify the standards and preferences of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) Facilities Planning and Construction and shall be applied to all remodels and new construction. They are broken down into the following sections:
- Design Narratives. These convey UNL design requirements and preferences to design A/E's.
- Design Specifications. These are to be used for both internal and externally designed projects. The A/E shall be responsible for incorporating these into the project contract documents as well as any deletes / edits / additions required to tailor them project specific requirements.
- Design Details. Same intent and stipulations as Design Specifications.
- CAD Standards. These convey required layering schemes, coloring, fonts, etc. for all construction documents.
- Space and Door Numbering Standard. These are required so we can achieve door and room identification consistency accross all buildings and all campuses
- Wayfinding and Signage.
- Conformance to Campus Master Plan. New buildings and major renovations are required to adhear to the most recent campus master plan.
- Archived Design Guidelines. Past versions of the Design Guidelines can be found here.
- Forms. These are used to request modifications or projectd specific waivers.
Every effort has been made to insure that these Design Guidelines reflect sound design and engineering principals. However, if any A/E finds that the application of any of these Design Guidelines would result in a inappropriate or compromising situation, the A/E should notify the UNL Project Manager in writing. The existence of these Design Guidelines does not relieve design A/E's from any contractually obligated professional responsibilities.
We welcome suggestions for additions and revisions to these documents. Please fill out the Design Guideline Revision Request form found here.